KERING Real Estate Counsel
Kering - Regular
NEW YORK - United States of America
Kering is investing in a new role, Counsel, Real Estate, responsible for supporting the real estate needs of the company and its internal clients in the Americas region. This position will report to the Senior Real Estate Counsel and will be responsible for partnering closely with and providing routine counsel and legal support to the company and the brands on a variety of real estate matters.
The Kering Americas organization supports 4,500 employees belonging to 12 European luxury houses and located across multiple countries in North and South America. The role will require a driven individual, looking for a fast-paced, dynamic and complex work environment. The position will work closely with various external partners and internal stakeholders including brand management and store planning. In this role, you will demonstrate a high degree of business acumen, strategic thinking, drafting, negotiating, communication and collaboration skills. You will strive to provide a supportive and streamlined experience to our brands in close alignment with Kering’s core values and with an eye toward consistency and strategic risk mitigation.
How you will contribute
In this role, you will advise the business through the lens of supporting, protecting and challenging. Core responsibilities include the following:
- Draft, negotiate and provide support for commercial real estate and attendant matters, including retail and office/showroom leasing, amendments, terminations, subleases, estoppels, SNDAs, letters of credit and guarantees, while balancing business risks and meeting internal objectives, guidelines and deadlines.
- Draft, negotiate and provide support for construction related agreements, including architect agreements, general contractor agreements, supplier agreements, subcontractor agreements and related lien resolutions matters.
- Work as a collaborative member of the Legal Team in support of the Group’s regional retail lease portfolio, addressing issues as they arise and assisting in the management and resolution of disputes with landlords, contractors and attendant third parties – including with respect to real estate related pre-litigation and pending litigation matters.
- Collaborate with the Kering Real Estate department, Brand management, Finance, Store Planning, Procurement, Insurance, Security, Facilities and other internal stakeholder groups to execute real estate strategy, provide guidance on leasing and answer questions on lease interpretation.
- Keep abreast of legal decisions, statutory changes and other developments impacting real estate and establish and maintain systems to ensure company compliance with real estate contract requirements and applicable laws.
- Help develop and implement new processes, policies and training as needed, based on legal requirements, industry standards and best practices.
- Provide strategic, creative and effective legal and business advice to balance legal risk against business needs and goals.
- Develop, maintain and improve company real estate agreement standards and template provisions and forms including general leasing, construction, architecture, vendor procurement, lien releases and related documents.
- Oversee outside leasing and construction counsel and serve as liaison to internal clients.
- Lead by example and positively influence stakeholders, clients and team members as a trusted resource and subject matter expert.
Who you are
- Approximately 8+ years’ hands-on experience as real estate leasing counsel in a fast-paced environment, with sufficient experience and ability to handle responsibilities with minimum supervision. Both external law firm and In-house experience preferred.
- Advanced legal knowledge of commercial real estate contracts and related agreements; retail experience strongly preferred.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to handle and manage a variety of internal client demands and significant number of leasing deals simultaneously, coordinate with internal stakeholder teams to meet store buildout timeframes.
- Initiative and ability to work autonomously and set strategic goals, while remaining a strong and supportive team member.
- Exercise good judgment and recognize when to ask for help or escalate issues.
- Ability to handle sensitive / confidential information requiring a high level of discretion, respect and integrity.
- Strong time management, project management and prioritization skills, with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects / matters to closure.
- Strategic thinking with an ability to leverage business sense, creative problem-solving skills and sense of prioritization when resolving issues.
- Exceptional networking and relationship management skills; ability to influence change and instill confidence in stakeholders at all levels of the organization to help advance Kering’s goals to promote compliance, risk mitigation and best practices. Prior experience operating in both global and/or highly matrixed organizations ideal.
- Strong, clear, concise verbal and written communication skills that can adapt based on the audience; comfort in communicating to senior management and internal clients at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to strategically manage external counsel spend, negotiating favorable rates, reducing overall external spend via proactive risk mitigation and internalization of work.
- Mergers and acquisitions experience a plus, including due diligence management, deal team coordination and various support roles.
- JD from an ABA accredited top law school, member of good standing in at least one State Bar, preferably In New York (or ability to register as In-House Counsel In New York)
-Strong working knowledge of and interest in the luxury retail industry desired
- Full time
- Nord America
- United States of America