KERING Counsel, Intellectual Property & Innovation
Kering - Regular
NEW YORK - United States of America
Job Description: Counsel, Intellectual Property & Innovation
Kering is investing in a new role, Counsel, Intellectual Property, responsible for supporting the IP, Data Privacy and Innovation needs of the company's internal clients in the Americas region. This position will be responsible for partnering closely with and providing routine counsel and legal support to the company on IP, Privacy and Innovation matters and will include (i) developing, implementing, and leading a brand protection program for the company's brands in the region, (ii) partnering with the global data protection and IP leaders on implementing Group policies and risk-mitigation strategies, (iii) and assisting the General Counsel to build-out an innovation practice. The position will report to the General Counsel.
The Kering Americas organization supports 4,500 employees belonging to 10 different European luxury houses and located across 5+ countries in North & South America. The role of Counsel, Intellectual Property & Innovation will require a driven individual, looking for a fast-paced, dynamic, and complex work environment. The position will work closely with various internal stakeholders ranging from Kering’s Group DPO and Director of IP, brand counsel, brand management and others. The role will strive to provide supportive and streamlined experience to our brands in close alignment with Kering’s core values with an eye toward supporting, executing, and enhancing the company’s brand and data protection strategies.
How You Contribute
A successful candidate for Counsel, Intellectual Property & Innovation will:
- Support the Group’s IP Director and brand counsel on all aspects of IP-related Group policies, brand protection, enforcement, litigation, and transactional matters.
- Review, draft, and negotiate various IP-sensitive agreements - including licenses, technology agreements, influencer agreements, publicity / promotional agreements, copyright agreements, photographer agreements, campaign agreements, sponsorship agreements, content-creation agreements, procurement agreements, et al.
- Conduct IP-related due diligence and counsel stakeholders on IP issues in M&A transactions.
- Deliver clear and pragmatic legal and implementation advice with respect to various innovation projects, including technology agreements, digital, and web3 projects.
- Prepare and conduct periodic client training programs on marketing, unfair competition, and other IP issues.
- Support the Group DPO and designated Privacy Officers in executing regional privacy strategy, including by monitoring regulatory developments, implementing privacy controls, supporting projects to implement any needed process or policy changes, and reviewing new partnerships, engagements and features for compliance.
- Develop strong internal relationships with regional and global brand management, brand counsel to become a trusted resource and subject matter expert.
-- Keeping abreast of legal decisions, statutory changes, and other developments, and advise the company on the same.
- Leading by example and positively influence stakeholders, clients, and team members. Building and maintaining strong relationships in a highly matrixed, global organization.
- Managing outside counsel.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who you are?
- 8-10 years’ experience as intellectual property and privacy counsel, with sufficient experience and ability to handle responsibilities with minimum supervision. Both external and in-house experience preferred.
- Exceptional working knowledge of IP and Privacy law.
- Experience supporting global projects highly desirable.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to manage a variety of internal client demands appropriately and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Initiative and ability to work autonomously and set strategic goals, while remaining a strong and supportive team member.
- Exercise good judgment and recognize when to ask for help or escalate issues.
- Ability to handle sensitive / confidential Information requiring a high level of discretion, respect, and integrity.
- Strong time management, project management and prioritization skills, with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects / matters to closure.
- Strategic thinker with an ability to leverage business sense, creative problem-solving skills and sense of prioritization when resolving issues.
- Exceptional networking and relationship management skills; ability to influence change and instill confidence in stakeholders at all levels of the organization to help advance Kering’s IP goals. Prior experience operating in both global and/or highly matrixed organizations ideal.
- Strong, clear, concise verbal and written communication skills that can adapt based on the audience; comfort in communicating to senior management and internal clients at all levels of the organization.
- Strong project management skills; able to work under stringent deadlines and high pressure and be able to prioritize a heavy workload with multiple deadlines. Ability to work autonomously and with flexibility.
- JD from an ABA accredited top law school, member of good standing in at least one State Bar, preferably In New York (or ability to register as In-House Counsel In New York).
- Full time
- United States of America